The extension scout programme is especially for scouts, both boys and girls, with disabilities. The disabilities include intellectual disability, global developmental delay, Down syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Cerebral Palsy.
The scout movement is one of the only uniform groups in Singapore that has children and youth with disabilities as members. Like the cub and scout programme, we follow the progress and proficiency badge scheme but with modifications, to suit the needs of the special scouts. The modifications may include instruction, equipment and environment.
Every year, the extension scout community organizes four events; Games Day, Camp Serigala, Campfire and Overseas Goodwill trip. Given the opportunity, the individual extension scout group also collaborates with scouts from the other sections (cub, scout, venture and rover) for activities.
Currently, there are 8 extension scout groups:
- Association for Persons with Special Needs (APSN)
- Katong School
- Asian Women’s Welfare Association (AWWA) School
- Metta School
- Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore (MINDS)
- Fernvale Gardens School
- Lee Kong Chian Gardens School
- Towner Gardens School
- Woodlands Gardens School (WGS Jaguar Scout Group)
- Spastic’s Children Association School (SCAS)
Scout groups who wish to collaborate or volunteer with any of the extension scout groups may email directly to the school or contact Ms Sidah Jasmin, Extension Scout Commissioner.
- APR Workshop on Scouting for Young People with Special Needs in Perth, Australia (April)
- Extension Scout Campfire (April)
- Goodwill Tour to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (June)
- 11th Nippon Agoonoree in Shiga, Japan
- Extension Scout Camp (November)